Tuesday, March 6, 2018

SOLSC #6 How fast should I walk?




I am participating in the
March 2018 Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC).
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day, every day for thirty-one days.
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.




Most days, my dear husband drops me off at the metro in the early morning before school; he's retired, with a very flexible schedule - and a very kind heart. But, on occasion, I also enjoy walking to the metro from the house; it is great exercise and never fails to energize me for the day. This morning was a "walk to the metro" day. The walk to the metro from my house is about 2 miles ... and takes me 35-40 minutes, depending on my pace and the pace of my thoughts. I find that I begin the walk more urgently, more decisively, and somewhere mid-walk, I am lost in thoughts and have to break out of them, reminding myself to pick up the pace. Today, as I walked, I was aware how my thoughts burst out like popcorn, scattered all over the place, some about work, some about my weekend with my folks (which I just got home from), some about weather, some about...well, who knows anymore? I got on the metro and wrote down reflections from the walk, in hopes of creating a slice on this busy Tuesday...and I think it's a bit of a poem! Here goes:

Walk to the metro,
Walk, walk, walk,
How my thoughts flow,
Walk, walk, walk
How to keep them from flying away,
This talk, talk, talk
Don't I need to remember,
as I walk, walk, walk?
Am I dressed warm enough,
Walk faster, walk faster,
Isn't it true you're 20 degrees warmer
when you run, run, run?
Am I going to be on time?
Did I leave a bit late?
Walk faster, walk faster,
For goodness' sake.
Will I ever be lighter?
Thus the walk, walk, walk
Pick up the pace,
Don't balk, balk, balk
Dear Mom and Dad,
Such a bittersweet sight
Age 88 is a withering
Try as they might
Can't hear so well,
Can't keep up with the talk,
Can't see so well,
Or remember,
Forget about walk, walk, walk,
So we sat together,
Just hanging out,
Yes, we just sat together,
That's what visits are about.
Walk faster, walk faster
Let it go,
Defy your genes,
Break a sweat,
Walk, walk, walk,
Oh this day ahead,
all the talk talk talk
hard conversation with a family,
planning with my team,
a working lunch,
meeting after school, 
talk, talk, talk,
a late night seminar,
every spare moment filled,
a blog post to write,
maybe I can consider that done?
Walk faster,
Walk faster,
Walk, walk, walk.



5 comments:

  1. I think walking always leads to thoughts spinning in our head, which then become fodder for slices. I need to walk more to get the juices flowing. Loved the repeating words. They tied it together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a hard time keeping up with your walk, walk, walk. I know when I walk, my mind goes in so many different directions even tho I try to focus on my surroundings. Great slice, keep walking and creating slices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the energy of your poem. I tested reading about your parents.

    ReplyDelete