Sunday, March 18, 2018

SOLSC #18: How did I forget this?




I am participating in the
March 2018 Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC).
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day, every day for thirty-one days.
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.


Today is my Mom's 89th birthday and somehow I managed to forget it. I remembered it two weeks ago and I remembered it this morning, but I didn't think of it in between. Therefore, my traditional gift of sending flowers and a card could not happen. Sadly, I know it doesn't really matter because my Mom has Alzheimer's and doesn't even know it is her birthday; she certainly has no worries about me missing it.

As I brooded over this, I realized there were some very sweet years when she would get flowers and be so thrilled over them, phone me right away, and mention them yet again on the next week's call. I didn't realize how precious this was, at the time. I only know it in retrospect.

Alzheimer's set in, and that sweet experience disappeared. Now, the flowers come and the caregiver has to draw Mom's attention to them. The memory or understanding of the gift doesn't make any impression at all. However, she loves to look at them and remembers clearly that flowers are pretty - and every time she looks at the bouquet, they are new to her again. "Oh, look at the pretty flowers!" This brief, repetitive joy is enough for me and why I will still send flowers to her, arriving as a belated birthday gift.

Let's get back to this morning...certainly, I had to call her and wish her happy birthday! A simple phonecall would have to do.

I called the house and my Dad called her immediately to the phone - "It's Maureen, to wish you Happy Birthday!"

Mom confusedly says into the phone, "Happy Birthday?"

I said, "No, it's YOUR birthday, Mom!" and immediately launched into song, Happy Birthday to you!

As soon as my singing ended, she gushed with excitement,

"Oh, thank you! I will remember this always!"

Always,
for one moment,
was really beautiful. 

Happy Birthday, Mom!

6 comments:

  1. I am right there with you. My mom is 90 and suffers with dementia. Some days are better than others, but she is always happy, and I take solace in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother is also happy most of the time - it's a silver lining to a horrid disease.

      Delete
  2. Very sweet post. Thank you for sharing this personal moment with your mom with us. My mom's birthday is Tuesday. We need to treasure the time with our parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do! It was a very sweet moment. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. This is a great post. My dad has early onset dementia (he's only 68), and like you said, there are so many things I took for granted that have been lost. I love the ending of this. The conversation, and your final reflection, are really beautiful. Thank you for sharing this sweet moment with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really appreciate your comment. Yes, when someone you love has dementia, you realize how many things we take for granted.

      Delete