Monday, March 19, 2018

SOLSC #19: How many different voices?






I am participating in the
March 2018 Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC).
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day, every day for thirty-one days.
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.



A long, demanding day with so many facets. What teacher hasn't had that strange sensation of being in so many places at once, where you are present with a small group of students but thinking about the upcoming family conference or interrupted by an administrative task or challenged by someone's behavior?

I keep a school journal beside me at all times during the day, to capture data, anecdotes, and important things I've heard and want to remember. It's late in the day and I haven't written a slice, so I thought it might be interesting to capture fragments from today's journal notes... showing how many pivots a teaching day has...how I volley between adults and preschoolers, between coaching, teaching, collaborating, conferencing, connecting...always so much going on. Here are those scraps of notes from my journal -

Can be a toxic emotion in a classroom.
Create chart of student assignments for Intersession
"I painted, and you know what we painted with? Apples!"
"Those go like this, and those turn, and they fall down, and some balls flip...it's going to be the awesome way!"
"It's a rock cross. Step, step, step - and you don't fall in. Come, follow me."
"Can we have a ramp contest and see whose goes down?"
love of learning
Are you just going through the motions? What are you feeling?
Structure creates safety.
Paying attention to the internal state of the teacher.
Professional development - worst ones are ineffective use of time, best ones are stimulating, interactive, thought-provoking
As Fred Rogers says, 'You'll always find someone who's trying to help.'


Yes, this is fragmented. Which is how I feel this Monday evening, fragmented. Wooh. Four more days until spring break!








7 comments:

  1. This was a great way to really bring us into your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had a busy day! I really enjoyed reading the quotes from your students, those were so cute! Hang in there 4 more days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I guess it's pretty clear which quotes are the children's ;-) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  3. We can all relate to that sentiment about PD, and it makes me happy to see Mr. Rogers at the end of this list, which so aptly represents your commitment to your students.

    I can't help but note how we both focused on student voices in our slices today. From the wee ones to the big kids, they all matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love capturing students' words, listening to their voices. I agree - so very important! Thanks, Glenda!

      Delete
  4. I like this list of fragmentary thoughts from your day and how it captures the variety of your teaching day and all the reflective thinking teachers must do as we navigate our work. I also love the idea of keeping a notebook nearby to capture all this thinking. I need to start doing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my school notebook! I treat myself to a nice one each year. It's such a great reservoir of all my doings.

      Delete