Friday, March 17, 2017

sol17-17 When do we go home?




I am participating in the
Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC).
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day, every day of March 2017. 
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.


This was a draining day at the end of a long, mixed-up, irregular week. If routine and predictability are the best thing for preschoolers, then no wonder this week was so hard. We had the wacky snow/no snow day. We had two days of two hour delays. We had piercing cold temperatures, making outdoor play near impossible. We had one of my teaching team (my Teaching Resident) get chosen for a jury, meaning we had two days of subs and we will have more subs next week. Oh please please please, let it be Friday!

The day was long. L - O - O - O - N - N - N - G - G - G!

Then, during naptime, I got to slip out of my room and down the hall to the kindergarten classrooms, which were having a Young Author's Celebration. Their students had written "How To" books. Oh, this was fabulous! I got to sit and have stories read to me, by students that were - so very recently - preschoolers! How can it be that they are writing and reading? So fabulous. 

Here are the titles of a few of the books that were read to me: 

How to Draw a Tiger
How to Swim in a Pool
How to Play Mario Brothers
How to Make a Salad
How to Read a Book
How to Write a How To Book
I returned to my classroom with just one hour of the school day left, full of energy. I could write a book -

How to Re-Energize

and it would include being read to by former students.


3 comments:

  1. These do sound wonderful, Maureen, and I assume that many were your students not very long ago. It's a nice cap to your strange, long week! Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are your kinders using Lucy Calkins? We are just starting a book study on the Writing Strategies Book by Jen Serravallo. Although she starts strategies at K, she has a whole chapter on the goal of writing with pictures. Good stuff! Enjoy your weekend! March weeks always seem to drag on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your book idea! I remember as a kindergarten teacher, I loved it when former students came down to share a book or piece of writing with me. Always so fun to see all the progress and pride.

    ReplyDelete