Thursday, March 24, 2016

SOLSC #24 What about the positives?


During the month of March, I am participating in
the Slice of Life Story Challenge.
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day, every day for thirty-one days. My slices will be primarily about teaching preschoolers.
Check out the Two Writing Teachers website for many more reflections on teaching.


My school is only five years old and we are still "growing into ourselves." Next year, we will add an eighth grade; in five more years, we will have two classrooms of every grade from preschool through eighth grade. There has been a lot of stress and work to get as far as we have. Sometimes, it feels easier to identify everything we have not yet accomplished, everything that is not as it should be. Right now, mere hours away from spring break, exhausted from the month of March and its unending demands, it feels particularly easy to be negative. When someone complains, I can easily jump on board and say, "oh, yes, and...." However, in my heart - I'm a builder. I want children to succeed, I want this school to succeed, I want the teaching and work of this school to be softer. Today, I'm challenging myself to write ten things I love about my school:
1. I work with colleagues who are excited about teaching.
2. I work with beginning teachers who have many questions about teaching, and this keeps my teaching real.
3. We respect and make time for reflection.
4. I am allowed to teach with an emergent curriculum - to create lessons around topics that excite my students.
5. There are many supportive families, ready to help in every way imaginable.
6. The student body is very diverse - racially, culturally, economically.
7. It is not only a preschool but an elementary and middle school, as well.
8. When I have a problem or a challenge, I have supportive colleagues who will share their insights.
9. School leaders are passionate about our school and its students, and they are approachable and responsive.
10. Spring break begins tomorrow!



One last note - I hope that I continue this challenge through March 31st. Truth be told, I am headed to Scotland tomorrow and I am not at all sure that blogging will be something that happens. We shall see! I am bringing my laptop and I am sure my travel will fill me with ideas. I have loved writing for this challenge and reading so many amazing blogs by everyone else. Good luck, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I work in a school that's over 50 years old, and it feels as though there's still much to get done, even though there is much that has been done already. I think that's the nature of education, the feeling that something is always unfinished.
    My favorite from your list is #4 as it's no small thing anymore.
    Have a wonderful trip to Scotland. If you blog, good. If you don't blog, don't worry about it. I wouldn't schlep my laptop along just to blog. I've written my posts w/ the Blogger app. It's not great but gets the job done. It does have saving issues sometimes, so copy before saving if you use the app, just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school where I worked is K-8 & we just do not have room for a pre-school, although we often have wished we did have one. We also thought that keeping the ages together, yes, even through 8th grade was wonderful for all. Enough about my school, but you know I love hearing about what's going on in your school, & hope you continue to love it. I enjoyed your list, believe each part is vital. Happiest of travels to see your son, & enjoy Scotland, too.

    ReplyDelete