Sunday, March 13, 2016

SOLSC #13 What about social justice


During the month of March, I am participating in
the Slice of Life Story Challenge.
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day, every day for thirty-one days. My slices will be primarily about teaching preschoolers.
Check out the Two Writing Teachers website for many more reflections on teaching.


I am excited to be participating in Teaching for Change's social justice writing course this school year, Stories from the Classroom. We are a group of fifteen educators in the Washington, DC area and we meet once a month on a Sunday afternoon.

I haven't had a writing class since my freshman year of college. I am now answering journal prompts, brainstorming ideas, collaborating with other teachers about writing, drafting an article, participating in a peer feedback group, getting guidance from published authors, and more. Writing with the lens of social justice is very powerful for me, leading to so much reflection and questioning. Each session has been invigorating  - meaning, I find it very difficult to unwind and get ready for the week ahead!

But, that I must do - get ready for the week ahead. So, I will keep this short!

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how stimulating the writing process can be? I'm an evening "slicer" and often I can't get myself to stop and go to sleep. I envy your writing group - it takes away some of the loneliness of writing, I would think. What is your article about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how stimulating the writing process can be? I'm an evening "slicer" and often I can't get myself to stop and go to sleep. I envy your writing group - it takes away some of the loneliness of writing, I would think. What is your article about?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely have to check out the course. I need to recertify one more time, and I don't want to take classes. I've taken so many. I need to find something that inspires and feels purposeful. You also gave me an idea, so thanks again. I always learn so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When one is doing something so invigorating, thinking deeply, trying to do well, too, it's rather like a brain drain. I hope you'll decompress soon, but congratulations, Maureen, this sounds also like an honor to be one of those chosen. I hope you share more when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that sounds very cool, I'm jealous. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete