Wednesday, March 20, 2013

SOLSC #20 What is spring?


Two Writing TeachersSlice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC)




The simple question,
What is Spring?
with the most adorable responses -

I'm not sure. (Reia, Jamie)
It gets spring again. (Saadiq)
Something when you wear short sleeves. (Soren)
The skies are blue and red, when the clouds are shiny, and we run with our wagon, because it is sunny out. (Ferdie)
Spring is when I can wear my dragon shoes. (Ben)
It's something when the leaves grow. (Harper)
All the leaves come back. (Anya)
It's my birthday. (Ellington, Sayid)
Flowers and grass. (Emma)
When the sun comes out and you get to use no jacket.
Sun. (Zoe)
Easter. (Jack)






Sayid's family came in and shared the Central Asian tradition of "Novruz," where the first day of spring is celebrated like New Year's. We ate dried fruits and sweets, examined a centerpiece of newly grown grass, and took turns jumping over pretend "fire" [orange construction paper], sharing our hopes for the future.  These were so cute, too, including -

I want to be a ballerina.
I want to learn to read.
I want to play Thomas.
I want to see a dinosaur.
I want to be just like my Mommy.



We took a short walk on a rather brisk day, to look for signs of spring.  At first, the preschoolers were pointing to every street sign.  We discussed the difference between "street signs" and "signs of spring" - funny thing, the English language!


Sweet day! 
Happy Spring!


2 comments:

  1. I like Anya's answer. My very favorite part of spring is watching everything come alive again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see you found a little bit! Love those answers!

    ReplyDelete