Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Tuesday SOL: What can you do with a cloth?







I am participating in the
Tuesday Slice of Life.
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day.
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.

What can you do with a cloth?
Well, what do you imagine?
If you are a preschooler, there's no end to the possibilities.

Why not make a fort?
Or a gown?
How about a cape for a superhero?
Let's be robbers and bad guys.
No, how about Mommy?
The baby needs to be swaddled in a blanket.
The baby needs a crib!


I'm making a bear cave.
It's a lake!
There are dolphins in the water.
All the animals live in this part of the zoo.
We could pretend they are rocks on a mountain, and go for a hike.
You might slip and fall!
It could be ice.
It's my sled.


A bed for me.
A hospital bed, because I am sick.
We can all have ballet clothes!
Remember, at Halloween, there was a ghost?
If you sit in the barber's chair, you need one of these.
I'm going to be a firefighter.
No, a policeman!

It could be like walls of a house.
Or the floor.
It might be the window, maybe the curtains.
Or the door.
You have to come in this way.
It is a very soft place.





























A few years ago, a family gifted me a large bag filled to the brim with cloths...a big bin of fabric, each piece measuring approximately 1 yard square. Honestly, there are probably three dozen pieces of fabric...I've never counted them, and I suppose I should, one day! I think these cloths might be my favorite element in my preschool classroom. They bring endless fun!

4 comments:

  1. Love the imaginations of preschoolers. The possibilities in life are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could harness that imagination and release it again when they get to middle school! I love watching my grandchildren let their imaginations run wild. If only I could get my 7th graders to let go and stop asking me, "How long does it have to be?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Preschool years are a magical time. They are unfettered.

      Delete