Sunday, March 29, 2015

SOLSC 2015 #29: Can you build off of that?



Each day during March, I am participating in the Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC). All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day, every day for thirty-one days. My slices will be primarily about teaching preschoolers. Check out the Two Writing Teachers  website for lots more reflections on teaching. Thanks especially to Stacey, Tara, Anna, Beth, Dana, and Betsy for hosting this writing challenge. 



*******

My husband and I had a new adventure last night, attending a comedy improv competition. My colleague Ben has been taking regular classes through Washington Improv Theater and we were there to cheer him on! What a fun night! 

Wow, it takes guts to do this - to stand up in front of people and follow their cue, build on what they throw your way, and keep the humor coming fast. Yes, this is thinking 'on the spot'. Do their minds ever go blank (like my mind does sometimes!)? How do they plan for this? I sure didn't see any lapses, any frozen moments. So many fun little skits, one rapidly changing scene after another. Who is changing the scene? How do they know when to change the scene? How do they know the joke is over, enough has been said? 

I know he rehearsed with his team regularly before the competition; I'm sure that they had certain aspects of their fun routine "at the ready." 

I never get to see Ben teach - but I have no doubt that this extracurricular work embellishes his teaching...can't you see the parallels? Each and every day, we deal with the unexpected. Children, parents, colleagues, administrators throwing all sorts of unexpected things our way. Often, we have very little time to process before we begin to build on it.

Ben's comedy group advanced to round 3! The competition continues! Congrats, Ben! 


2 comments:

  1. My husband and I are involved in a puppet program at our church. During the school year we perform puppets and act in weird characters for an hour. It has given me the courage to do many silly things with my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have something special for you. If you a writer, and looking for a job, you need to check www.essaykings.me. Sure it's really helpful for talented people!

    ReplyDelete