Tuesday, March 10, 2015

SOLSC 2015 #10: What are we doing together?




Each day during March, I am participating in the Two Writing Teachers Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC). All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day, every day for thirty-one days. My slices will be primarily about teaching preschoolers. Check out the Two Writing Teachers  website for lots more reflections on teaching. Thanks especially to Stacey, Tara, Anna, Beth, Dana, and Betsy for hosting this writing challenge. 

*******

I was scanning my recent school photos, wondering if something would jump out at me. Yes, I was looking for inspiration for a slice! 

What struck me was how much I enjoy the photos of children working together...




They attest to the power and joy of preschool...they could be advertisements (if I hadn't hidden every face) for why preschool is so wonderful an experience. Children, together!






Helping one another,
making friends,
working together towards a common goal,
learning to take turns,
listening to others,
considering another perspective,





making something better,
speaking up for yourself,
cultivating patience,
building something larger,
learning how to share,
discovering what you are good at,



realizing differences are okay,
practicing acceptance,
unearthing new interests,
daring to try new things,
finding the joy of togetherness.













2 comments:

  1. Yep, our classes--from preschool to high school seniors--have much in common. I had my students out of their seat today, too. And we were playing w/ poetry. Never thought British Romanticism could be so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of the magna-tiles. I work in a title 1 school, 78% of my students get free or reduced lunch. I bought my first set as a birthday gift to myself. The second 100 just because. Because 10 or more children were begging to play each day. Last year I wrote a grant for my third set of 100. Every day, one of the most popular choices! This year I bought a fourth set, to gift my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete