Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Tuesday SOL: Why does it have to be like this?




I am participating in the
Tuesday Slice of Life.
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day.
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.

We're entering into the tough part of the school year, that time period in the very middle of the year, when so much fatigue has set in. There is so much to do and there simply isn't enough time to get all that needs doing done. I call out a "good morning" to colleagues first thing every day, but we are quick and perfunctory with one another; there is little opportunity to collaborate or share because everyone is so busy with their own never-ending list of must do's.

We had professional development this past week, and I wanted desperately to be working in my own classroom, getting work done. I work alongside a novice teacher, and as she begins to lead more, taking over more of the daily responsibilities, my need for time to meet, plan, review, discuss, and reflect grows exponentially. A short while into the workshop, I had that uncomfortable sensation of not being fully present; I was in two places at once. I challenged myself to listen. I am, typically, a "good student" - usually very much on-task.

Would you believe me if I told you that the speaker was engaging?

As a general rule, I love workshops, I love learning new approaches, hearing about the latest research. However, this just wasn't something I personally would have signed up to do with my time right then, because I am struggling to complete so many other things...I have other priorities. These priorities don't go away or even lessen as a result of this professional development.

I decided to step back and observe a bit, to give the situation a writer's eye. I looked around the room at my colleagues and took notes on what I saw:

- One, furtively scanning her phone, with a furrowed brow, looking tense, worried, or tired, or perhaps all three...
- Another, totally checked out...what I must have looked like just a moment before...eyes glazed, face tilted down, a mile away in his thoughts.
- Two colleagues were whispering together, very, very quietly...probably not about the lecture, right?
- Still another, typing madly on her computer, in the midst of the lecture, clearly not engaging with the material of the professional development, but in all probability getting something done on her to-do list.
- Several colleagues that I had seen earlier in the day were not even in the room...early departure? Doctor's appointments? 
- There's another colleague, feet drumming on the floor, fingers tapping on the table, is she listening to music? I can't see any evidence of earphones...maybe it's one of those wireless sets...hmmm.

Why does professional development have to be like this?
What is it about these sessions that makes them feel so tone deaf much of the time? 
How can so many of us be this detached from the lecture? 
If this were a classroom, wouldn't the teacher realize that the students were off-task and something is not working right?
Why are we learning about this right now?

There is always so much put on teachers, and increasingly little wiggle room or flexibility to think for oneself.





4 comments:

  1. Professional development is so hard. I'm in a PreK-8 situation, and there is Lots of discussion about what is the best approach. I just keep thinking about authentic teacher care. How do we encourage teachers to grow academically? Yet, also give them the rest and time they need to complete "Office tasks." There has to be a way...thanks for sharing these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm in a PreK-8 situation, too...it's hard to have "one size fits all" professional development for such a large range. There has to be a way! Love the words "authentic teacher care." Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. It must be that time of year...so much to accomplish with so little time, but pulled away for PD! We also just completed a full day of PD on balanced literacy for K-6 teachers. Although it was interesting and much needed, carving out a 90 minute literacy block in a sixth grade schedule is well...a nightmare! Not sure how we'll do this, but I'll just add it to the list of things to accomplish through the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose these professional developments are stretching us in much the same way we do our students... Best of luck!

      Delete