Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Tuesday SOL: What does a young parent know?




I am participating in the
Tuesday Slice of Life.
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day.
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.



"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better."
- Maya Angelou


I went to see my (elderly) parents this past weekend, who live in a retirement community in Saco, Maine. One bonus of seeing my parents is that I get to see a couple of my brothers and sisters-in-law, who live nearby. My brothers and I went cruising down memory lane, thinking about different experiences we had when we were young. Some of our memories went a little dark.

I'll share just one with you today.

We remembered how sad and difficult life was when my parents argued. My parents believed in giving one another the silent treatment. Yes, this was their approach to conflict - to freeze one another out, to make the other 'figure out' what was wrong. Their silence affected the whole house...it meant no family dinners, no gathering together for television or games, everyone walking on eggshells.

I remember the silence vividly.

All of this was so many, many, many years ago, and I have certainly forgiven my parents. I know that they were finding their way, they were doing the best they could.

Now, I find myself thinking about how darn young my parents were when all this happened. Certainly, I'm much older now then my parents were at the time of all this ugly behavior.

I think, wow - how young all of us are - typically - when we are raising children. Think of how much we learn on the job as parents. Parenting is often done by two young people who are just learning to communicate with one another, just learning to create that team, that precious union. In the midst of this learning, we dare to bring a new life (or two or three or four or, in my parents' case, five). What does a young parent even know? How do you know what you need to know? Goodness!

Time and time again, young parents raise children. It is by no means new. And yet, isn't it a wonder that children grow up, that most of us turn into adults that make a worthwhile life?

I think about this a lot in my work with young children: our childhood lays the blueprint for the rest of our lives...it creates our 'norm', what is ordinary for us. What's happening to my preschoolers right now that they will carry with them always? What is being modeled in their homes? What instincts - right or wrong - will they carry in their bones?

I remember the silence vividly.

This is the power of childhood.


2 comments:

  1. We recently read "Purple Hibiscus" in AP Lit; the novel features silence as a major trope that offers insight into a young girl's family and the abuse all suffer from the father. I think about the "not said" often, both in terms of literature and real life. Like you, I also contemplate how young we are when we begin our parenting journey. I wish I knew then what I know now. I wish I had had a more zen approach to parenting. I grown into a type of zen in my teaching life. And I think about how much more I know now and how much better I am at creating learning environments that work for students in my old age than I was as a 22 year old first-year teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad it is that we have to learn the hard way, sometimes. Those memories probably made a difference in the way your home life developed with your children. I know it made a difference in my home.

    ReplyDelete