Tuesday, March 28, 2017

sol17-28 Who's the very best?




I am participating in the
Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC).
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day, every day of March 2017. 
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.


I have learned through the years that the more precisely I have planned out my day, the more likely something unexpected will wreak havoc with these plans. I should have known that something new would be thrown my way today, when I was almost on autopilot from the get-go.

The alarm goes off early, there is a very full day ahead. Everything is precisely planned. Make tea, do my morning workout, eat breakfast, shower and get dressed, head out the door. I'm not taking metro today because there is an evening meeting at school and metro service is much less regular in the evenings. I won't be home until 8pm; I'll drive to school. Throughout the drive, my mind races, as I review all my to do's of the day ahead. I park the car and start to walk away.

"Ma'am! Hello, Ma'am!," someone driving by tries to get my attention,
"Yes?" I answer.
"Your front left tire - it's really low - not quite flat. But you want to fix that."
Oops.
"Thank you!" I answer.

And I freeze. I just stare at the tire.
Yes, it is really, really low.

Can I make the 30 minute drive home with the tire like that?

Ugh.
What to do?
This is not a day when I have a moment to breathe.
I'll be driving home in the dark.
Ugh.

I know who will help me think this through.
I call my husband as I walk towards school and I tell him the situation, to find out if he thinks I can get home on the tire. 
Without any hesitation, he replies,
"Oh, I noticed that yesterday and I meant to take care of it. I'll slip over to your school and fix the tire while you are teaching."

I think I have the very best husband in the world.






9 comments:

  1. Phew! You are really blessed with a great husband! I would be calling AAA. Scary to drive on a really low tire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was getting myself mentally prepared to call AAA!

      Delete
  2. Yay for that husband! It's great to have someone to turn to for assistance in times like these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes a tire fixer who cares for you is certainly a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! Saved! I rely now always on triple A, like Carol. They have saved me several times. I'm glad your husband could get it fixed for you

    ReplyDelete