Monday, December 7, 2020

COVID means - What should this blog share now?

As another calendar year draws to a close, I find myself musing about this blog. I started it so many years back, when I was teaching preschool, and it was the perfect place to capture my reflections. I haven't written very much in recent months, and I should explain . . . .

This past spring, I proposed scaling back to part-time teaching, searching for that ever elusive "work-life" balance; I wanted to devote more time to writing, which, inexplicably, just calls out to me right now. I made a delightful proposal to my school for this part-time work (imagine - a maker's space for early childhood!) and my school was receptive to this idea...when...

drumroll...

this crazy pandemic usurped this possibility, and 

I found myself suddenly without a teaching job at all. 


It has taken some time to get used to this, to adjust to this new normal. 


In recent days, I have gone back to read some of my earlier posts, and I am fascinated by the details recorded. I am immediately transported back in time, surrounded by these beautiful children. I am so glad that I took time to write about these precious moments. I am reminded of that Reggio adage:

If it's not documented, it didn't happen. 

Reading through these past posts, I realize - I must keep writing this blog. Just as I have had to change my sense of purpose these past many months, I believe it is time to tweak this blog a bit. I will write from my new lens. I will write as a former and "seasoned" preschool teacher, an early childhood advocate, a passionate grandmother, a reflective mother, an engaged bystander. Although I won't have any stories from my classroom, I still have so many early childhood stories to share. Let's see where this leads me!

No comments:

Post a Comment