Tuesday, July 31, 2018

What's special about summer?






I am participating in the
Tuesday Slice of Life with Two Writing Teachers.
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day.
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.






My 2018-19 journal
Here it is, July 31st. I know what that means: summer break is coming to a much too rapid close. I return to school on August 8th (yikes - next Wednesday!), for two weeks of professional development and then the start of the new school year.

Two small purchases this week cemented this transition for me:

- A school journal for 2018-19! I love selecting a new one of these each summer...imagine all the special snippets that I will write in the months ahead - notes about children, lesson plans, workshops, and more.
- A large wall calendar for my kitchen, where I have begun to enter this year's schedule...all the school holidays and special events, along with all my family celebrations, appointments, and events.






I am having an absolutely fabulous summer...one with so many days of true leisure that I am often unsure what day it is. Is there a better luxury than this? Here are my top ten pleasures of this summer:

  1. So much sweet time with my husband, Tony; he's retired, and summer means we both have free, open schedules. We are able to be truly present with one another.
  2. Finding time every single day to write...challenging myself to write a couple pages each day, and finding this time so meaningful and well spent, such a joy.
  3. Reading novels, devouring novels, enjoying novels - reading for the fun of it!
  4. Long, meandering walks with no real time limits - so much more relaxed than the 'must do' exercise squeezed in at the end of a teaching day.
  5. Visiting with others, catching up with old friends, traveling to Maine and Georgia to visit family...leisurely meals, excursions, relaxed conversations with family, friends, and neighbors...reconnecting with dear ones is a highlight
  6. Weeding...I actually enjoy working in my yard when I am free to start and stop when I like.
  7. Tony and I finally figuring out how to turn on Netflix without one of our sons showing us how to do it - and then browsing movies and shows.
  8. Indulging in #7 in the middle of a rainy day! 
  9. Sitting outside and noticing all the nature around me, especially the birds...whether a plump mourning dove balancing on a stair railing, bright yellow goldfinches darting out of the purple coneflowers, a single hummingbird at the feeder, there is always so much to see.
  10. Sleep..waking without an alarm, daring to take a nap in the middle of the day...yes, this is a delirious pleasure.
Oh, summer...please don't disappear on me!

8 comments:

  1. Love your new journal and this list, especially #3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck starting. A new journal is always nice to have. Love the top 10 list. I wonder in a few weeks when I’m even closer to the end of my break what my list will be like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, with a few more weeks of summer! Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Another great idea for a "short post." I love peeking into other people's lives to see what they're up to. It seems to me you really know how to make the best of your summer. Enjoy it to the very last moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have truly enjoyed this summer.

      Delete