Friday, March 16, 2018

SOLSC #16: What to do with an ear worm?




I am participating in the
March 2018 Slice of Life Story Challenge (SOLSC).
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day, every day for thirty-one days.
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.


In recent weeks, we have had a lot of fun practicing our assertive voice with the folksong "Jump Shamador" at our morning gathering:

Class - Good morning to you  ____
Child - Good morning to you, Big Cats.
Class - What is your intention?
Child - I want to be a  _____.
Class - You can’t be a  _____.
Child - I must be a ____. (Stomp feet)

Something about this song has moved even my quietest students to the center of the carpet, for their chance to insist on what they want. Maybe it's the foot stomping that is so freeing? It is a joy to see these preschoolers find their voice. What do they most want to be? Well, we have princesses, Spidermen, Batmen, police officers, puppies, excavators, flowers, butterflies, frogs...if you think it, you can be it! 

My only complaint, why must I wake up singing this at 4 a.m.? 

Jump Shamador me darling,
Jump Shamador me dear...

Jump Shamador, Jump Shamador, Jump Shamador...



2 comments:

  1. It's your fault, you taught them the song right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! And so sweet to loop back here and comment ;-)

      Delete