Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Tuesday SOL: Why should I care about Black Lives Matter?




I am participating in the
Tuesday Slice of Life.
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day.
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.


I've been busy working on something very exciting and thought I should share it here, in this space, and - just maybe - I'll excite another teacher to join the fun. The week of February 5-9, 2018, I am participating in the Black Lives Matter Week of Action

The goal of the Black Lives Matter Week of Action in Schools is to spark an ongoing movement of critical reflection and honest conversations in school communities for people of all ages to engage with critical issues of social justice. It is our duty as educators and community members to civically engage students and build their empathy, collaboration, and agency so they are able to thrive. Students must learn to examine, address, and grapple with issues of racism and discrimination that persist in their lives and communities.
Why should I, a white teacher, participate in and celebrate Black Lives Matter in my preschool classroom? It's very simple, really:

I want to give preschoolers a foundation of love and respect for all.
I want them to learn to listen and wonder about other perspectives.
I want them to believe in their personal power and purpose. 
I want my preschoolers to imagine a world without the distortion of systemic racism.
I want to do right by my students of color.
I believe in social justice.
I believe in teaching empathy.
I believe each of us is fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalm 139:14) - yes, each and every child, without exception.
I believe I can make positive change in our world. 
I care. 
I must act.
I am a teacher.


Our nation is so troubled. It feels to me like people of color are under attack. Can my students of color anticipate a life of true equality? A world where they will be treated fairly? I have to start somewhere. Black Lives Matter feels like an important step to take.

I have been hard at work on lesson plans for the week, ways to integrate anti-bias, empathy, and perspective-taking in my preschool classroom. Honestly, I already think a lot about this in my work with young children. It is not a huge paradigm shift for me. I'm focusing on read-alouds that celebrate Black families, Black communities, Black culture, Black excellence, and Black authors - thankfully these are really easy to find. I will surround us with Black music. We will explore the color Black in our art. We will talk about how to help one another feel welcome, how to show kindness, what is fairness.These are simple, ordinary, intentional steps in any preschool classroom and I believe they will also bear witness to Black Lives Matter.

I've said this before: childhood lays the blueprint for the rest of our lives...it creates our 'norm', what is ordinary for us. What if anti-bias was the norm? What if equity was ubiquitous? What if skin color was irrelevant? 

I can dream. I can act. I can start.

I am excited.




6 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish I could tag along, Maureen, this sounds quite wonderful. I just reviewed a new book by a couple of friends. You may know it, Can I Touch Your Hair, by Irene Latham & Charles Waters. I have read it to the grand-girls, 3rd grade & kindergarten. While some poems may not be right for your young ones, some will. I know you work to include all ideas in your teaching, so am not surprised you are joining in that week. Best wishes, hope you share about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with the book Can I Touch Your Hair, but I looked it up and it looks really interesting - love the co-authorship, looking at things from two perspectives. I will check this out. Thanks, Linda!

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited to learn about the Black Lives Matter Week of Action, and even though I'm not in the D.C. area, I can use the resources in my classes and mold lessons to fit the BLM WoA. The timing is right for the juniors I'm teaching; we're starting "The Crucible" and looking at Puritan violation of rights we now have guaranteed in the Bill of Rights; the link you shared has a lesson on colonial that created inequality. It will be a good addition to the unit. And my AP Lit kids started "Heart of Darkness" today; our focus is through a post-colonial lens. I plan to infuse the unit w/ Caribbean and African poetry as a relief to Conrad's images. Thanks so much for sharing; I can't wait to read about the lessons and projects your students get to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited that you are going to join in! I think the Week of Action intends for teachers to participate on the level that feels most comfortable for them. I really appreciated all the legwork that others have already done, allowing one to approach Black Lives Matter in innumerable ways. I'll be sharing my experience!

      Delete
  3. I love that you have such respect for your preschoolers that you will engage them in exploring issues of social justice. Do you share with the parents about your plans? I'm wondering about the responses you will get. I look forward to hearing what they, kids & parents--and you-- learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I share with my families about my plans - and I'll be letting them know about this very soon. We are a diverse school and social justice is part of our mission; I am hopeful about their responses. I will be sharing here!

      Delete