Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Tuesday SOL: Why write today?




I am participating in the
Tuesday Slice of Life.
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day.
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.

Why write today?
Because.
Because it's Tuesday,
and Tuesday means slicing.
Because when I walked,
the ideas and reflections flowed, and 
I know there's stuff to share.
Because I shouldn't let yet another week go by,
without a slice.
Because I have a bit of time before heading to the airport,
for a week of summer vacation in Bryce Canyon,
with my three sons, 
and my husband,
how fun is that?

Because.
Because this year's end,
and perhaps every year's end,
was frustrating and exhilarating,
magical and exhausting.
Because of all of those end of year traditions-
water play,
field days,
music concerts,
Learning Showcase,
yearbooks,
finalized data,
report cards,
portfolios,
goodbyes,
packed boxes, and
closed up classroom.
Whew.
Because this year's end added one new tradition -
saying farewell to our first class of eighth graders,
our first promotion ceremony. 
Because,
although we began our school
with preschool through third grade, 
six years flew by, and 
third graders become eighth graders, and, 
these young adults walk across the stage,
(look closely, you can still see children)
these young adults walk across the stage,
and out the door,
to high school and beyond.
Because.
Because,
somehow,
we have built a school.
Because every school year needs closure.
This one,
most of all.

Happy summer!

4 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful vacation, Maureen. Bryce Canyon is awesome! I love hearing that those kids grew up in your school, and now you do have a new tradition. We called our 8th graders "Continuing" students. No matter what the term, it is a wonderful time of saying goodbye, sending off to the wider world. Loved that you wrote, and of course you had things to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine as I write this that you are at the airport or aboard the plane and winging toward the canyon. I feel out of breath as I read your poem--packed with so many happenings--and it seems to me all that energy expended across a school year is its own reason to chronicle it --to write and also to enjoy a bit of holiday. Have a wonderful and safe visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time in Bryce Canyon with husband and sons. What a wonderful place to unwind and slow down from the magical and yes, exhausting end of the year routines. It's amazing to me that I now have students who have completed college and have entered the working world. The years do fly by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy summer, Maureen! I love how you string together the chaos of year's end into seemingly simple lists that stay positive. We loved Bryce when we took on our son on a "canyon tour" a couple years ago. I am sure you will find it refreshing. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete