Tuesday, January 17, 2017

New year, renewed expectations


This is a Tuesday
Slice of Life.
All participants are writing about one moment, one part of their day. 
A big thank you to Two Writing Teachers for providing this unique opportunity
for teacher-writers to share and reflect.


I received a very special book this past Christmas: The Book of Joy, wherein the Dalai Lama and Archbishop Desmond Tutu share their insights on how to find joy in the midst of adversity. The book is powerfully uplifting, filled with nuggets of wisdom. Here's one from Archbishop Desmond Tutu:

To choose hope is to step firmly forward into the howling wind, baring one's chest to the elements, knowing that, in time, the storm will pass.



This simple blog of mine, focusing primarily on preschoolers, has given me much joy over the past few years. And yet, somehow, over the past few months, I have had a writer's block, an inability to figure out what to say or do with it next.

But I have joyful news! Here, in the new year, after much reflection - in large part, instigated by this sweet Christmas gift -  I am feeling very hopeful about my early childhood blog again. I realize my writing matters to me. I like it, I love it. I want to 'keep on keeping on' about this one small piece of the world, to shine light on our youngest students, and share this joy.

Right now, it is what really matters to me. 

To kick off this new year of feeling inspired in my writing, let me share some sweet photos of our new year in the classroom. The preschoolers have returned from winter break delighted to be together, ravenous for new experiences, and full of joy! Just like me!






We continue to build detailed structures in the block center.





We have added balls and ramps to the block center, and the children are working like engineers to discover all sorts of unique ways to make the balls roll. They are creating tunnels, sharp inclines, flat roads, jumps, and much more.






There is always something different going on in the Art area! Our first day back, we used simple scratchboards to draw and write about our winter break. An on-going project is to create paper puppets, in order to share a story. We are fully immersed in folktales, reading a wonderful variety of books, and we are beginning to create our own stories.








Over in the dramatic play, we have created a new business: Hair by the Big Cats. It is both a beauty parlor and a barbershop. Each day brings more questions, curiosity, and pure fun!




Of course, we are writing in so many different ways. Here is our haircut schedule, prepared by a preschool receptionist. We think of ourselves as writers!








We also write our own original books in the writing center. One of the biggest joys is to share these books aloud at the end of the day, with all our classmates. 


So, there you have it! I am recommitted to writing this early childhood blog in 2017 - and to slice on Tuesdays with Two Writing Teachers! I hope you will wander by to read. 

4 comments:

  1. We need your voice and more blogs like this! Thank you for recommitting and sharing with us (and the world)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're back, Maureen. You know that I love every bit of what your little ones are doing! A "hair" parlor-what fun. They must adore that. I'm happy you've found joy in your writing again! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to hear you're back! I found so much joy in reading this post! I want to be in your classroom! Can my name be added to the list in your Hair Parlor? Thank you so much for sharing and bringing a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh there the joy and love in this is apparent. I think I want an appointment at the "hair parlor "- so darn cute! Welcome back to slicing!

    ReplyDelete